Part-time 20 hours/week
Reporting to the Education & Programs Specialist, the Museum Education Assistant is responsible for conducting and scheduling field trips and tours, volunteer management, and assisting with the implementation of school and public programs in partnership with community groups.
The primary focus of the Museum Education Assistant is field trip and tour scheduling and volunteer management, both of which are essential in assisting the Museum in meeting its mission to educate, enlighten and inspire Museum visitors with California’s rich history and diverse culture. The position works to enrich learning experiences for over 50,000 educators and students who visit the Museum annually on field trips.
- Facilitate school fieldtrip/tour and volunteer scheduling using museum’s scheduling software, phone and Outlook calendars.
- Create and coordinate a structured system for the Museum’s volunteer program that includes recruitment, training, evaluation and recognition components.
- Assist in development of education and volunteer materials.
- Assist with the research and implementation of the robust calendar of grant-funded programs for diverse museum audiences.
- Exercise judgment and discretion to efficiently procure program materials within budget guidelines.
- Help cover daily tours and programs as necessary.
- Work with Education and Program Specialist to ensure proper maintenance of classroom supplies and hands-on materials.
- Provide excellent customer service while maintaining a safe,
friendly and orderly environment in exhibits and office
Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred; youth and/or volunteer experience a plus
- Strong computer skills; familiarity with museum scheduling software a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Customer-service oriented
- Ability to manage large groups of children and adults
- Ability to measure and report on accomplishments and goals
- Knowledge of California schools, as well as experience working with CA learning standards (Common Core) a plus
- Outgoing, energetic, self-motivated and passionate about CA history and culture
- Strong communication skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff and students
- Fluency in multiple languages and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Due to the nature of the position, excellent references and a background check required.
Part time – approximately 20 hrs/week, Monday – Friday. Willingness to work some flexible hours is required, including some evening and weekend hours as needed.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
About The California Museum:
A self-supporting 501(c)3 non-profit, The California Museum — home of the California Hall of Fame — engages, educates and enlightens people about California’s rich history and unique contributions to the world through ideas, innovation, the arts and culture. Through interactive and innovative experiences, the Museum inspires men, women and children to pursue the California dream and make their own mark on history.