The California Dogface Butterfly became the state insect in 1972. The name comes from a wing pattern resembling a dog’s head on the male of the species. This butterfly lives only in California.
Download template to get started.
Dogface Butterfly hat
Supplies needed: construction paper, crayons, 2 printable butterflies, hole punch, Tape or stapler and 2 pipe cleaners
- Cut strips of paper that would fit around one’s head (you may have to tape or staple two pieces together) to make a band.
- Color the strips of paper however you would like. (Grass, dirt, stars, etc.)
- Then curl the pipe cleaners around a pencil so that it makes a swirling pipe cleaner.
- Take one pipe cleaner and staple/tape it to one side of the band and take the other pipe cleaner and staple it to the other side.
- Print the 2 butterflies and color then just like the state’s insect, the Dogface Butterfly.
- You will then hole punch a small hole on the bottom of your butterflies.
- Stick the hole on the butterfly on the pipe cleaner and then twist the pipe cleaner to secure the butterfly.
You have made your very own butterfly hat!