The California Museum is temporarily closed to the public to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus until further notice. We closed at 5 pm on Friday, March 13, 2020 and will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so.
We made this difficult decision to protect the health and safety of visitors, volunteers, staff and the communities we serve, after careful consideration of public health authorities’ recommendations on social distancing. We are committed to doing our part to help curb the outbreak and will continue to monitor the situation.
During this challenging time, we urge our constituents and community to continue taking precautions, including frequent hand washing, practicing social distancing and reviewing updates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, California Department of Public Health and the Sacramento County Department of Public Health.
Museum staff are working remotely and are ready to assist with any questions you may have. There may be delays in responding to voicemail messages; email inquiries are recommended for a quicker response.
Detailed updates on specific departments as of July 29, 2020 are listed below and will be updated as the ongoing situation continues to unfold.
- As of July 13, 2020, indoor museums in California must remain closed as mandated by the California Department of Public Health. Visitors will be welcomed back with new health and safety protocols as soon as the state’s indoor museums are given clearance to reopen. To be notified of our reopening date, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Upcoming exhibits dates are delayed, and new dates will be published as soon as the reopening date is determined. To be notified of dates when available, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Online exhibits are now available through our partnership with Google Arts & Culture. To be notified of new online exhibits as they are published, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Memberships are welcome. Applications for new or renewed accounts will be processed as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. Expiration dates will be extended through the dates of our temporary closure. For questions or assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Group tour cancellation fees will be waived if your group was scheduled to visit during our temporary closure or if your group had to cancel due to COVID-19. For assistance or to reschedule, contact email@example.com.
- Onsite public events, tours and facility rentals are prohibited during our temporary closure. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Facility rentals are canceled until further notice. Deposits for rentals impacted by COVID-19 may be applied toward a future event or refunded. Refunds will be processed as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job openings have been postponed until further notice and our office staff to return to work onsite. For questions or assistance, email email@example.com.
- Distance learning materials aligned with K-12 State Content and Common Core standards are available to download both as PDFs and as Google Classroom assignments. To access, visit the program page. For questions or assistance, contact the education department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virtual field trips are now booking for the 2020-21 school year. Visit link for details or contact email@example.com for assistance.
For questions on operations not listed above, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to welcoming visitors back soon!