The California Museum will be temporarily closed to the public to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus until further notice. We closed at 5 pm on Friday, March 13, 2020 and will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so.
We made this difficult decision to protect the health and safety of visitors, volunteers, staff and the communities we serve, after careful consideration of public health authorities’ recommendations on social distancing. We are committed to doing our part to help curb the outbreak and will continue to monitor the situation.
During this challenging time, we urge our constituents and community to continue taking precautions, including frequent hand washing, practicing social distancing and reviewing updates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, California Department of Public Health and the Sacramento County Department of Public Health.
Museum staff are working remotely and are ready to assist with any questions you may have. There may be delays in responding to voicemail messages; email inquiries are recommended for a quicker response.
Detailed updates on specific departments as of March 20, 2020 are listed below and will be updated as the ongoing situation continues to unfold.
- Upcoming exhibits‘ opening dates are delayed, and new dates will be published as soon as a reopening date is determined. To be notified of new exhibit opening dates, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day on April 4, 2020 was cancelled by the Smithsonian Institution on March 12, 2020. To be notified when this event is rescheduled, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Volunteer Open House on April 23, 2020 is cancelled. To be notified about the next event or for questions, contact email@example.com.
- California Time Traveler Camp program in June and July is scheduled to proceed; however changes may be made in compliance with public health authorities’ recommendations. For questions or assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Memberships are on hold until further notice. Applications for new or renewed accounts starting March 1, 2020 will be processed as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. Expiration dates will be extended accordingly. To be notified when memberships are available again, please visit the Membership page.
- Tour cancellation fees will be waived if your group was scheduled to visit during the closure or if your group had to cancel due to COVID-19. For assistance or to reschedule, contact the education department at email@example.com.
- Facility rentals are cancelled until further notice. Deposits for rentals impacted by COVID-19 may be applied toward a future event or refunded. Refunds will be processed as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job openings have been postponed until further notice, and applications will be accepted as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. Please visit this webpage for re-opening date announcement.
- Distance learning materials aligned with K-12 California State Content and Common Core standards are in development and will be available to download shortly. For questions or assistance, contact the education department at email@example.com.
For questions on operations not listed above, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to reopening soon!