The California Museum will be temporarily closed to the public to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus until further notice. We closed at 5 pm on Friday, March 13, 2020 and will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so.
We made this difficult decision to protect the health and safety of visitors, volunteers, staff and the communities we serve, after careful consideration of public health authorities’ recommendations on social distancing. We are committed to doing our part to help curb the outbreak and will continue to monitor the situation.
During this challenging time, we urge our constituents and community to continue taking precautions, including frequent hand washing, practicing social distancing and reviewing updates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, California Department of Public Health and the Sacramento County Department of Public Health.
Museum staff are working remotely and are ready to assist with any questions you may have. There may be delays in responding to voicemail messages; email inquiries are recommended for a quicker response.
Detailed updates on specific departments as of March 20, 2020 are listed below and will be updated as the ongoing situation continues to unfold.
- Upcoming exhibits‘ opening dates are delayed, and new dates will be published as soon as the reopening date is determined. To be notified of new exhibit opening dates, sign up to receive our e-news.
- New online exhibits and collections are in development in partnership with Google Arts & Culture and expected to be published during the summer. To be notified of publishing dates, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day on April 4, 2020 was canceled by the Smithsonian Institution on March 12, 2020. To be notified when this event is rescheduled, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Volunteer Open House on April 23, 2020 was canceled. To be notified about the next event or for questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- California Time Traveler Camp program in June and July is scheduled to proceed online at reduced admission. To learn more about the program and technical requirements, visit the event page. For questions or assistance, contact email@example.com.
- Memberships are welcome. Applications for new or renewed accounts will be processed as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. Expiration dates will be extended accordingly.
- Tour cancellation fees will be waived if your group was scheduled to visit during the closure or if your group had to cancel due to COVID-19. For assistance or to reschedule, contact the education department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facility rentals are canceled until further notice. Deposits for rentals impacted by COVID-19 may be applied toward a future event or refunded. Refunds will be processed as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. For assistance, contact email@example.com.
- Job openings have been postponed until further notice, and applications will be accepted as soon as it is safe for staff to return to our administrative offices. To be notified of the reopening date, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Distance learning materials aligned with K-12 State Content and Common Core standards are available to download both as PDFs and as Google Classroom assignments. To access, visit the program page. For questions or assistance, contact the education department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planning for reopening is underway in keeping with Phase 3 guidelines announced by Governor Gavin Newsom. Although a date has yet to be determined, we anticipate welcoming general admission visitors back on site in the coming weeks with many new health and safety precautions, such as online ticketing, contactless admission, hourly cleaning, members-only gallery hours and more. To be notified of the reopening date, sign up to receive our e-news.
- Virtual field trip tours are in development for the 2020-2021 school year. For questions or more information, contact email@example.com.
For questions on operations not listed above, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to reopening soon!